A sheet of ice blanketed Northridge so severely that motorists had to drive down the hill to Roswell Road one at a time. Some owners of cars left - some haphazardly - on each side of the road, will return to find them smashed by vehicles that apparently skid going down the hill.
Sandy Springs opened Hammond Park Gym to serve as a shelter for the night, for stranded motorists. The American Red Cross assisted in the efforts. Hammond Park is located at 705 Hammond Drive at Glenridge.
Via email, Sandy Springs City Councilman Andy Bauman reported the following road closures or unpassable conditions about 9:15 p.m.
- Roberts Drive at Dunwoody Place
- Roswell Road at Stewart Drive
- Lake Forrest Drive at Stewart Drive
- Trowbridge Road at Spalding Drive
- Roswell Road at Hightower Road
- Adair Lane at Grogans Ferry
- Brandon Mill Road between Abernathy and Dalyrmple
- I-285 Eastbound at Riverside
- 400 Northbound at Northridge
- 285 Eastbound at 400