Food Network Chef Aaron McCargo, Jr. has a holiday dessert recipe for folks who are on restricted diets.
The "Big Daddy's House," chef and Fresenius Medical Care - a dialysis treatment center with a location in Sandy Springs - have partnered to develop "dialysis-friendly holiday recipies."
Below is a recipe for Apple-Stuffed Cinnamon Bundles. For additional recipes go to the Fresenius website, click the "Living Well" tab, see "Healthy Eating" and "Recipes and Meal Planning" underneath.
Apple-Stuffed Cinnamon Bundles
4 apples or 3-1/2 cups (of peeled medium diced Granny Smith, Washington Gala, and Honey Crisp apples mixed)
¼ cup light brown sugar*
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, firm
¼ cup melted unsalted butter (for buttering phyllo pastry sheets)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon corn starch
1 package (6 sheets) phyllo dough
Combine in a small bowl:
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon
Whipped cream or Low fat whipped topping
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
Prepare apple mixture:
In large sauté pan on medium high heat, sauté apples in butter for 6-8 minutes. Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar, and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. In a small cup, mix cornstarch and vanilla extract until dissolved, stir into apple mixture and cook for additional two minutes on medium high heat. Turn off heat and set aside.
Prepare phyllo dough bundles:
- Lightly grease a large six muffin tin pan.
- Starting with the first sheet of phyllo dough, brush each side with melted butter then dust with the powdered sugar and cinnamon mix. Continue until all 6 sheets have been buttered and dusted with sugar and cinnamon mix, stacking one sheet on top of the other as you go.
- Cut each stack into 6 squares. Line the bottom and sides of each muffin cup using one stack of squares. Leave an over-hang.
- Fill each phyllo lined muffin cup ½ - ¾ full with the apple mixture (this will depend on how big the apples are cut), making sure each phyllo lined muffin cup has equal amounts of apple mixture.
- Fold excess phyllo dough over the apples in each muffin cup and pinch top closed to create the bundles.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Garnish with powdered sugar, whipped cream and sprig of fresh mint.
*1/4 cup Agave Nectar may be substituted as a sweetener for those with diabetes
- These are a few types of year round apples that are available are in most supermarkets and fruit stands across the country. Select one sour and two sweet apple varieties for your recipe:
o Golden Delicious
o Red Delicious
o Granny Smith
1 Serving: 1 bundle
Calories 249 calories Trans Fat 0 grams
Protein 2 grams Cholesterol 31 milligrams
Carbohydrate 29 grams Potassium 102 milligrams
Total Fat 14 grams Phosphorus 26 milligrams
Saturated Fat 9 grams Sodium 99 milligrams