Update: Overnight Fire at Versailles Apartments

The Thursday morning fire started in the stairwell and did not reach any units, but four Sandy Springs families were displaced by the blaze. In August, a fire damaged eight units and displaced ten families at Versailles Apartments.


The cause of an overnight fire at Versailles Apartments in Sandy Springs appears to be electrical.

Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Scarbrough said a hanging light fixture in a stairwell fell and started the fire. Neither the blaze nor smoke reached apartment units but four families were displaced for safety precautions.

In August, a fire damaged eight units and displaced ten families at Versailles Apartments. At the time, investigators told CBS Atlanta that they believed the fire began in a ground floor unit when a resident left something cooking on his stove, unattended.

Versailles and Chastain Apartment properties are being sold to JLB Partners for conversion to a luxury residential mixed-use development. The sale is expected to be complete by spring 2013, and the management company has told residents they will try to help them find alternative housing. 

Letter: Apartment Residents Concerned Over Displacement for Mixed-Use Development.

Priscilla k. Martinsen December 19, 2012 at 04:05 AM
I called the fire dept and have never even gotten a thank you from the owner or Manager even though I saved the building from burning down and I almost went back to bed and did not open the door, I heard the loud crash and smelled smoke but thought at first it was someone smoking outside my door. So far no one has come to check my smoke damage. y top of door,ceiling and wall,I thank God I was curious enough to open my door.Priscilla k. Martinsen


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »