The cause of an overnight fire at Versailles Apartments in Sandy Springs appears to be electrical.
Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Scarbrough said a hanging light fixture in a stairwell fell and started the fire. Neither the blaze nor smoke reached apartment units but four families were displaced for safety precautions.
In August, a fire damaged eight units and displaced ten families at Versailles Apartments. At the time, investigators told CBS Atlanta that they believed the fire began in a ground floor unit when a resident left something cooking on his stove, unattended.
Versailles and Chastain Apartment properties are being sold to JLB Partners for conversion to a luxury residential mixed-use development. The sale is expected to be complete by spring 2013, and the management company has told residents they will try to help them find alternative housing.
Letter: Apartment Residents Concerned Over Displacement for Mixed-Use Development.