A fire broke out at Versailles Apartments in Sandy Springs just before 6 a.m. Sunday morning.
CBS Atlanta reported that eight units were damaged during the blaze. Investigators told the station that they believe the fire began in a ground floor unit when a resident left something cooking on his stove, unattended.
A total of 10 families have been displaced by the incident, the station said. A local Red Cross chapter is assisting the families.
The AJC is reporting that the affected units have been boarded up, and the property has been turned over to apartment managers for repairs.
. A purchase deal would raze the communities for conversion to a luxury mixed-use development.